Tuesday, February 10, 2015

On a winter's day





The Mamas and The Papas recorded California Dreamin' in 1965. The second line of the song followed me outside one winter day when I saw it was a perfect time to take winter photos.


All the leaves are brown and the sky is gray
I’ve been for a walk on a winter’s day
I’d be safe and warm if I was in L.A.
California dreamin’ on such a winter’s day


The afternoon I went for my walk, the sunlight created shadows on the snow. This day was different from so many gray winter days in Michigan. All of the first verse of California Dreamin’ could fit into my life, but not this day.


I breathed in the cold air and looked for shots that would show both sunlight and shadow.  I called for the family dog and she came whooshing up by my side.  Her fur is heavy now and she has the look of a small red husky.  


The snow was clinging to trees and objects and it was a poetry writing day, but I just wanted to take pictures.  My favorite place on a winter day is our pond.  The darkness of the water contrasts with the snow and the sunlight gives reflections of trees and the old barn.  


I looked for neat things to photograph and the old wagon wheel on the lane to the barn was just peeking above the snow.  A barn gray birdhouse that has been hanging from a pine tree for years had a snow cap on its roof. The shed near the pond which holds spare wood for our wood burner showed me a pattern in the way it was stacked.  


The dog snuffed around in the snow, ran the trails and then got tired and went home.  I continued my walk around the pond and for this one day was happy not to be California Dreamin’.  The cold was invigorating and it was the short month of February. I knew the gray would return, but I also knew it was one day closer to spring.  I’m now dreamin’ of Michigan wildflowers and daffodils.  
A cross country ski trail leading to the pond.


The pond in all its winter glory.

Blue sky and sunshine "on such a winter's day."
Old wagon wheel peeking through the snow.
Penny, the grandchildren's dog, enjoying the snowy walk.
A birdhouse with a snow capped roof.
The extra wood that keeps us warm.
A snowy view of the oldest building on the property, the  barn.


A sign to Anna and Otto's last resting place.  Their ashes are buried on the farm.


This little artistic house was once a pump house, but other than looking quaint, it serves no useful purpose now. 
 We just like it and will never tear it down.  


On the walk back home I took this rather plain photo of the sunlight and shadow in the woods.  


To listen to California Dreamin' recorded by The Mamas and The Papas go to:  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kcmwXUdDCE

No comments:

Post a Comment