Friday, February 13, 2015

A VALENTINE TRIBUTE

Hack at the top of the Space Needle in Seattle - 2003


Valentine’s Day is a bright spot in the month of February.  This year instead of giving my husband Hack a box of candy I want to write a tribute to the caring man he is.


As I write this, my husband is preparing a birthday dinner for our son who is turning 38 today, February  10.  But his day started early this morning as he set about to run errands and be a chauffeur for the grand kids.  


He first took some knives to a man who has a business by Stony Lake. This man sharpens knives and since many of ours were dull, Hack decided it was time to get them sharpened.  From there he went to Country Dairy to get milk and on to the grocery store he goes to once a week, Cherry Hill in Shelby.


He came home and I helped put the groceries away and then he was out the door again to pick up two grandchildren from school and take them to the orthodontist in Ludington.  From their appointments he took them to Arby’s so they could get some lunch before he dropped them back at school in Hart.


When he got home he started getting the chicken ready that he was roasting for dinner. Yes, Hack does all the cooking at our house. Why? Because he’s a better cook.


Many years ago when I was doing the meal preparations I suggested that he should clean up after as we both had the same jobs, teaching. He agreed that was fair, but he didn’t like cleaning up. Who does? Soon he was doing the cooking and I was doing the clean up.  I figure I got the best end of the deal.


Grandpa Hack is a maker of memories.  When transporting children they ask him to tell stories.  When they are working with him, he gives them history lessons.  But I think what he will be remembered for by his grandchildren are his cookies.  


Since we started doing daycare for the three grandchildren who live down the road, there were always treats after school. The tradition continues today and even though it is a short visit in the afternoon, the three grandkids and their father run into the house to get their milk and cookies. Fresh cookies are made at least once a week so everyone gets at least two cookies a piece.  

A man who cooks and bakes is a treasure.  The tradition has continued with our son who is the chief cook for his family.  The biggest compliment for Grandpa Hack is that his grandchildren like to eat here. They will often pop in and stay for lunch on a weekend.  If they are here for breakfast, the main food is always pancakes made with Grandpa’s special recipe.  Several weeks ago, our youngest grandchild Carter called me and said, “Grandma, I want to come down for pancakes on Saturday and stay with you for awhile.”  


Besides the cooking, Hack has a desire to take care of “his people.” That includes the neighbors where he goes on snowy days to plow out their driveway.  His need to stay busy results in benefits for all whom he cherishes.  


Having had a cold for three weeks has resulted in cups of tea being delivered to my side whether I’m watching TV or reading a book.  Hearty soups are made to help me feel better.  I know how blessed I am to have married a caring man.  So this Valentine’s Day I am giving words to him to show him that as my partner in life, he can not be beat.  We have had many adventures and they fill us with memories to warm us on cold winter nights.  On this Valentine’s Day I know we still have more adventures ahead, but if they should end tomorrow, my heart would be full. 



No comments:

Post a Comment