Monday, October 14, 2013

A Glorious Weekend UP NORTH

I always consider that we already live "Up North," yet there is an undetermined line we cross north of Manistee or Mesick or Cadillac, depending what road we are on, that distinguishes a true UP NORTH feeling for me.

Over eight years ago we started a tradition, when the grandchildren were tots and still wore footed pajamas, that we would gather at a condo at Boyne Mountain, south of Petoskey for a family fall getaway weekend.  At the end of the summer the grand kids start asking, "When are we going to Boyne?"  They remind us that we can't slip up and not go as their memories are strong of a place where we can eat out as a family, go up the chair lift to see the colors, play at the water park and shop in the nearby picturesque town of Boyne City.  Plus it is a place where the cousins can bond.

The second weekend in October usually brings peak color in that Northern Michigan region.  This year did not disappoint.  North of Mesick, near the Manistee River, the colors were bright and beautiful. The further north we drove, the more intense the reds, yellows and oranges became. 

North of Mesick, close to the Manistee River. 

One traditional stop before we get to Boyne is Friske's Farm Market on U.S. 31 south of Charlevoix.  The place was humming with donut, cider and lunch buyers.  We bought two dozen apple donuts which we knew would be gobbled down by children and adults.

Friday night always finds our family at the Red Mesa Grill in downtown Boyne City.  It is famous for its Mexican food and margaritas.  We are a large group and our waitress this year took us all in stride.  Back at the condo it was time for the grand kids to hit the hot tub and then bed.

Saturday was a warm sunny almost summer like day.  Golfing and shopping were on the agenda.  Boyne City sits on the eastern shore of Lake Charlevoix and after shopping downtown, I walked with the grand kids over to the farmer's market.  Small town farmer's markets are so colorful and they found a vendor with small cups of homemade ice cream which they gobbled down.  Then back to the condo for a rest and more hot tub time for the children.  It was also picture taking time for me. 


The five grands left to right:  Jay, Avery, Bella, Adrianna, & Carter. 


 
 After the golfers got back, Hack and I took our three granddaughters to a place called Coveyou Farm Market where they have a plethora of mum plants in every hue one could imagine.  The view from this farm, south of Petoskey, looks out over Walloon Lake.  The barn, mums, sunshine, giggling granddaughters and view were too much to take in without brimming with joy on my part.

The girls spotted a table in the barn where they were selling cider and donuts.  Adrianna asked, "Grandma
would you like to contribute to the well being of Adrianna?"  I laughed and asked if she wanted a glass of cider for 75 cents or a donut for 75 cents.  The better bargain was both for $1.25.  I gave Adrianna $4.00 to buy them all both cider and a donut and asked her how much money would be left over.  They all did the problem in their heads and came up with the right answer.








 Avery, Bella and Adrianna with their donuts and cider
                                                        



A Look Around Coveyou Scenic Farm Market

 

 
 


 



Going back to Boyne, the next thing on our agenda was the ski lift up the mountain.  Boyne was giving free rides and the day couldn't have been more perfect.  Only two could fit in each chair and Adrianna said it had been decided that she would go with me, Bella and Avery would go together and Grandpa would go alone. 

I have bonded with Adrianna since she was a wee one and I get a kick out of her sappy sense of humor which has followed her to the age of eleven and the 6th grade.  As we were riding up, her sister and Avery were in the chair behind us.  Adrianna turned around and yelled, "Bella, how IS you?"  When Bella yelled back that she was fine, Adrianna yelled, "Avery, how IS you?'  Avery answered that she was fine.  "Grandpa, how is YOU?" was her final yell.  Grandpa could not hear her as he was two chairs back.  I laughed and Adrianna was delighted that she had amused me.





 View from the top of  Boyne Mountain with Brett & Carter, Heather & Jay going up. 

 
 


After ordering pizza for dinner, the highlight for the grands was the Avalanche Bay Indoor Water Park at Boyne.  Several of them asked me, "Grandma, will you come to the water park and stay with us until it closes?"  I said I would come, but I probably wouldn't stay until it closed.  Since I am not big on water slides I knew my only experiences there would be the hot tub and lazy river.

The kids are in their glory there, but as I looked up at the long enclosed tubes which they call slides, I knew that the darkness along with the water would put me into panic mode.  Getting on a tube and going down the lazy river was my big adventure.  Jay and Adrianna were floating on a tube along with their grandfather and me and when I wasn't looking shoved us through a big waterfall.  That amused them very much.  I looked like a drowned rat.

The weekend ended with a breakfast at a wonderful restaurant in Boyne City called Cafe Sante.  Sunday was a bit gray and the weather had turned fallish.  Because the sun was in and out, the colors seemed more intense.  The drive home was picturesque.  As we entered our county, Oceana, I could see that over the weekend there was more color evident near home.  I assume in the next week it will be peak here and there will be no need to go further north as it will start to fade there.

The beauty of October is short lived and it must be grasped in all its glory when it appears.  Our grandson Jay was at the top of Boyne Mountain playing Frisbee with his mom, dad and brother and said, "I'm happy."  What more is there to life but to make memories for children and cherish the time spent with them?  Every year the children are a bit older, as are we, and one day this UP NORTH trip will end.

Or will it?  Jay asked me why Grandpa and I got the big bedroom at the condo?  I told him it was because we were the backers of this expedition.  He wanted to know what that meant and when I told him he asked how much it cost to stay for a weekend.  I asked him why he wanted to know and he said, "Because one day I will be paying for this."  Will the tradition continue into the next generation?  What a nice tribute that would be. 






 Click on pictures to enlarge.

No comments:

Post a Comment