Monday, July 1, 2013

Windows and Doors

If I were an artist I would be painting small vignettes....flowers in pots, birds perching on branches, interesting doors and small children.  But because I still draw stick figures and square houses as I did when I was five years old, I'm thankful for photography.

Without an artist's touch but with an artist's eye I have noticed that one of the outstanding things about houses in Europe are the window boxes.  They are like snowflakes, no two alike.  Sometimes there are shutters or ironwork or some decoration that adds to the beauty of the flowers spilling over the edges of the boxes. 

Europeans tend to have window boxes everywhere.  Germany and Austria are my favorite countries to photograph boxes that go from the rustic to the elegant.  I never have to look far as flowers overflowing window boxes are around every corner.  I am always captured by the color combinations that are used.

On the other hand, doors can be equally as beautiful.  Many that I take shots of are old and heavy.  Beautiful simple wooden doors or ornate with unusual colors always catch my eye.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Tallinn, Estonia
Going into a place through something beautiful and looking out of a window with flowers at its base are what captures my spirit.  Beauty can be in such ordinary things and it is up to us to see it. In Europe that kind of thing can hardly be missed.                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

                                                    Reit im Winkl, Germany

                                                                               Prague, Czech Republic                                                                                              








Flower boxes in Germany


Click on pictures to enlarge. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment