Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Give a little...Get a little

The guy who works at the local car wash was spraying my tires when I noticed the little boy with the dirty face standing in the open door of the office.  He was using his arms to tell me I should honk my horn. I smiled at him and mouthed the word, "No."

It was obvious that he and his older sister were there because there was no one at home to watch them.  The little girl had long brown hair and a cast on her arm.  She was dancing around her little brother while he continued to pantomime the signal children use when they want a truck driver to blow his air horn.  

On an impulse I reached into my purse and pulled out a dollar and a quarter for each child. I motioned for the little boy to come to the car and he said, "No, my mother won't let me."  I told him to wait until the young man was done spraying the dirt off my tires.

When all the prep work was finished, the little boy came to my window and I gave him the money.  His sister joined him and she received the same. Their eyes lit up and their mother, who was close by, told them to say thank you, but they already had.

The little girl said, "No one has ever given us anything before.  We're going to buy a big bouncy ball."

I asked the little boy if he had put the money in his pocket.  He patted his pants and said, "Yup."

I honked my horn before driving into the car wash and the startled little boy jumped from the noise and laughed.  I chuckled and knew the brief happy moment was just as much mine as theirs.  

No comments:

Post a Comment