Sunday, July 27, 2014

Beyond the Beach




It struck me as a beautiful scene for a photo that would show the texture of the brick.  The pink hollyhocks blooming in a corner on the back side of Silver Hills Antiques in Pentwater set my mind in motion. If there was this beautiful vignette right off of main street and away from the beach, what else could I find in this small Lake Michigan town?  


What I found was only a fraction of what there must be to photograph. There are small and large houses, each with their own ambience and style.  Those that exist along the channel are big homes with lovely flower gardens.  Those that are older I envision as being there since the 1800’s.  The closeness of the older houses to one another gives a feeling of protection against a gale coming off the big lake.


Flowers are a big part of the scenery and they often grow willy nilly in unexpected spots, like around a life saving ring near the channel.  I walked and found doors that seemed welcoming and signs of old weathered wood.


Further out from the village on Pentwater Lake I stopped when I saw an old boat house that had seen better days. Yet it was the old wood that I found beautiful and the oar attached was the perfect touch.    

Take a journey with me to these unexpected places beyond the beach and think about all the little spots that are right in our own back yards that can give pleasure if we just stop to look.



A burst of color under the eaves just seems unexpected.  
A pop of color gives the eye a sense of delight.
Bikes on a side street ready to rent...

Some people know how to accent their door....a happy look.



I have photographed this house several times over the years.  The  yellow siding plus the forest green front door gives me a feeling of coziness. I would love to be invited inside.
   
The whimsical look of Queen Anne's Lace coming through a life saving ring and a funny sign in a garden.



                   













No comments:

Post a Comment