Friday, December 20, 2013

Sights and Sounds of the Season



We were two little girls when my sister and I were coached by my mother to perform at her annual lodge Christmas potluck and program.  I had memorized a couple of lines to say and my sister got into a box wrapped as a present.  At the right word in my little poem, she jumped out of the box.  SURPRISE!

I'm not sure Christmas programs or concerts have changed much since the 50's.  It is the season to watch little children sing and bands and orchestras  play a variety of all the Christmas music that is out there.

In the last week we have attended five concerts.  It started out with our grandson Carter's first grade program.  All the children were dressed in their pajamas and they sang their hearts out.  The songs seemed complicated to me, but most of the children knew all the words.  Of course programs with young children can never go perfectly.  There was one little boy who was holding a stuffed animal and then he had the animal on his head.  When the music teacher saw that, she wandered over in front of him and gave him a word. 



Above: Hart first and second graders perform at their Christmas program.  Below: Close up of Carter (blond boy) and his classmates acting out their song in pajamas.   



Children's programs were a big part of my upbringing.  Christmas programs at church were very important events.  One year, when I was probably eight or nine, I was an angel and had a speaking part.  My mother made me a halo to wear.  She used some old tarnished tinsel that had been in the attic.  When we got to church the night of the program I noticed another angel also had a halo, only her halo was wrapped in bright new gold tinsel.  For a minute I felt jealous, but then remembered that I was the angel with the speaking part.

The holiday concerts we attended this season were put on by the West Michigan Symphony, the Hart Music Series and the Hart Bands.  We listened to our grandson Jay play his saxophone in the sixth grade band.  Both the high school band and the West Michigan Symphony played the yearly classic, Sleigh Ride. 


Sleigh Ride can be delightful if everyone is going at the same tempo. But if they are not....Katie bar the door.  The slapping of the reigns must be off rhythm and the neigh of the horse has to be right on cue.  I remember playing that song when I was in band and it never came off perfectly.  I imagine many band directors have their students play it just because it is a tradition.  For the audience it can be a source of amusement.  The Hart High School Band pulled it off although one of their drummers was trying to slow it down.  The symphony is expected to play it well, so no surprises there. 

Our last concert was a recital of young violin and cello players.  Our granddaughter Avery started cello lessons in the fall and the instructors who teach cello and violin put their students in front of an audience.  There were many violin solos and the youngest players performed as a group, as did the cello players.  The older violin students had memorized longer and more difficult pieces and only had a few blips.

Coming out of the church where the young string players performed was a time to look at the Christmas lights.  Since we are headed for a white Christmas, the decorations seem more intense this year and bring back memories of the Christmases of old when we always seemed to have snow.  The music adds to the beauty and children performing is the best thing of all. 

I am taking time to listen to the sounds of the season and enjoy the simple scenes. 


Scenes of the Season








 
 
Sounds of the Season
 
 


 
Music
 
Sleigh Ride - Boston Pops
 
 
Carol of the Bells - Boston Pops
 
Little Drummer Boy - Pentatonix
 
 
Photos 3, 5 & 12 taken by Hack Ramseyer
 

No comments:

Post a Comment