Monday, November 11, 2013

Granddaughters and Giggles

If laughter makes one live longer, then my two granddaughters in Novi will keep me going for many years.  A visit with them is both a revelation in how old I'm getting and how young they are keeping me.  I will explain.

Friday morning Adrianna was ready to go wait for the bus.  She said, "Grandma, do you know when a person is too fat?"  I was waiting for some comment about my weight when she said,  "A person is too fat if they are wearing the largest size and they can't find a size larger."

I broke out in a loud laugh and when I laughed she started laughing in musical tones.  We both were laughing at each other's laughter as she headed out the door.  When Bella heard us she said, "Grandma, I've got a joke for you."

"What's your joke Bella?"

"What do boy chipmunks call girl chipmunks?"  I was stumped.

Bella laughed and said, "Chickmunks!"  I told her that was a good one and giggled at her joke.

On Saturday Bella went to a birthday party and my daughter, Adrianna and I were going to go pick her up and then go shoe shopping for the girls.  I was changing my clothes and putting on a white long sleeved top to wear under a sweater.  Adrianna said, "Grandma, you have stains on that.  One here and one there."  I laughed because all of a sudden I felt like an old woman who gets food on herself and always wears stained clothes.  I hadn't even noticed the stains when I packed the shirt.

Later as Adrianna and I were waiting in the car while my daughter ran into Michaels to get Bella at the birthday party Adrianna asked, "Grandma, why do you always have to clean when you come to see us?"  I told her to come up in the front seat as I wanted to seriously explain to her how overwhelming their big house was to clean and how she needed to help her mother more than she was doing.  As she slipped onto my lap....she's almost as tall as I am....her legs dangled out the open door and she giggled, "Grandma, you have a hair growing on your chin." 

We both started laughing as she is always the one to see such things.  "My mom carries tweezers in her purse."  We dug but came up with nothing but nail clippers.  She clipped away and said I just had a little stub left.  By this time we were laughing so hard.  Old ladies with stains and chin hair is about as funny as it gets in Adrianna's world.

After shoe shopping we all went out to dinner at one of my favorite restaurants in Northville called Bone Fish.  Because the restaurant is so popular, even though we got there around 4:30, we had half an hour to wait.  An eleven year old and a nine year old can get a little wound up.  There was great jazzy music being played so while waiting in line I grabbed Bella's hands and started to dance.  Bella looked up at her mother and said, "Mom, Grandma is embarrassing me."

Several years ago Adrianna told me she could not take me to her school because I laughed too much.  Now she says she loves to hear me laugh so she goes out of her way to say and do amusing things to get my reaction.  

On the way home Bella said she would like to take care of old people when she grows up.  She remarked, "They are so cute.  I don't mean I want to change their pants; I just want to talk to them."  Then I burst out laughing.

Whenever I leave their house, I wish my two granddaughters lived closer to us.  The wonderful thing is they are coming for Thanksgiving and the laughter will continue.  They will keep me young for awhile longer. 


Adrianna and Bella ....sweet sisters......loving granddaughters....and that's no joke....

No comments:

Post a Comment